November 01, 2014
This product is not recommended for new designs. Once existing stock is depleted it will go EOL (End Of Life).
June 01, 2016
This product has gone EOL (End of Life). Small quantites
are still available for exisitng customers.
Ethernet USB PC Watchdog Timer Description
This circuit card mounts inside the PC and monitors a PC for hardware/software lock-ups.
It provides a solution to reboot
PC file servers, telecom, security, kiosk, video surveillance, digital signage and industrial
systems that occasionally lock up but must be available on a continuous basis.
Increase your system availabilty and protect against unexpected downtime or blue screens (BSOD).
The Ethernet-USB PC Watchdog timer ships with utility programs for control & "tickling" of the board.
Sample source code and libraries are also provided in Visual "C" and Visual Basic
to allow users to write their own applications to configure or "tickle" the board.
Use the CD image download below to see the samples provided along with all the programmer's
The Ethernet-USB PC Watchdog works with Win 2K XP Vista Win7 Win 8 Server2003 Server2008 (32 &
64 Bit Versions on all).
It will have LINUX support soon.
As well as functioning as a watchdog timer, the Ethernet-USB PC Watchdog board also provides additional user
I/O on the two connectors on the rear of the board.
The Ethernet-USB PC Watchdog meets the dimensions for the PCI MD1 specification for use with small PC cases.
The board can be ordered with a low-profile bracket for use in a low-profile case or it can be ordered
with a standard size bracket for regular PC cases.
It can also be mounted internally in the PC by removing the bracket and using one or more of the
available mouting holes. There is a mechanical drawing for the mounting
holes available on the CD image download.
- Connects to a PC USB port or to a powered hub on a PC.
- Watchdog timer can be set for 5 seconds to 1 hour by DIP switch or 1 second to 18 hours via software control.
- Can be used right from the box with supplied programs.
- Monitors the PC USB bus for activity or communication “tickles”.
- Monitors the Ethernet port for activity via UDP for communication “tickles”.
- Status information available with http interface for web browser.
- Optionally monitor an external digital input for “tickle” activity.
- Has an on-board temperature sensor to detect fan failures or other over-temp conditions.
- Has two temperature trip points for alerting.
- Programmable option to allow the PC Watchdog to hold the PC in reset after the upper trip occurs.
- Audible alarm for the temperature trip points.
- The temperature trip points can be modified by user software.
- Two LEDs show status of PC Watchdog.
- Programmable power-on delay to allow the PC to complete its initialization sequence.
- Non-Volatile memory to store operating parameters.
- Eight bytes of non-volatile memory reserved for user data to implement simple software protection.
- Has an AUX relay available on an external jack to control devices such as security alarm panels.
- Board has two user inputs – one digital input and one analog input.
- Digital input (TTL Level) can be used to "tickle" the watchdog.
- Support for PCs without a motherboard reset header available with:
Ethernet USB PC Watchdog - with Low-Profile Bracket - 15" (380mm) External USB Cable
Ethernet USB PC Watchdog - with Low-Profile Bracket - 22" (558mm) Internal USB Cable
Ethernet USB PC Watchdog - with Standard Bracket - 15" (380mm) External USB Cable
Ethernet USB PC Watchdog - withStandard Bracket - 22" (558mm) Internal USB Cable
Ethernet USB PC Watchdog PDF Manual
- This link is for the latest version of the Ethernet USB Hardware Manual.
Universal DLL PDF
- This link is for the latest version of the Universal DLL Programmer's Manual which describes all the functions
provided in the DLL for users who write their own application programs.
Distribution CD Image File (ZIP File)
- This link is for the current version of the distribution CD that contains all the manuals, programs, drivers,
and the sample software. This includes the sample "C" and VB.net code for those users who
wish to write their own aps or want to incorporate watchdog support into their
Low-Profile version with standard bracket for use in most PC cases.
Internal 22" (558mm) cable supplied with -1
version of the board. Cable on left side.
Standard 15" (380mm) USB A-B cable on the right
Low-Profile version with low-profile bracket for use in PC cases that
meet the PCI MD1 or MD2 spec.