USB PC Watchdog Timer Description
This is a small circuit card that mounts inside the PC and monitors a
PC for hardware/software lock-ups or computer malfunctions.
It provides a solution to reboot
PC file servers, telecom, security, kiosk, video surveillance, digital signage and industrial
systems that occasionally lock up but must be available on a continuous basis.
Increase your system availabilty and protect against unexpected downtime or blue screens (BSOD).
The USB PC Watchdog timer ships with utility programs for control & "tickling" of the board.
Sample source code and libraries are also provided in Visual "C" and Visual Basic
to allow users to write their own applications to configure or "tickle" the board.
Use the CD image download below to see the samples provided along with all the programmer's
The USB PC Watchdog works with Win 2K XP Vista Win7 Win 8 Server2003 Server2008 (32 &
64 Bit Versions on all).
It also has LINUX support.
There is also a 4-Pin internal header behind the regular USB connector and an additional mounting hole.
This allows it to be installed inside a PC and make a connection to the internal header on the motherboard.
If the bracket is removed there are three mounting holes available. The board is so small and light
that could also be secured inside the PC with double sided velcro tape. There is a mechanical drawing for the mounting
holes available on the CD image download.
The PN: 1140-1 version is supplied with a 22 inch (558mm) cable for the internal connection.
- Connects to USB port or a hub on a PC running Windows and Linux.
- Receives power from USB bus.
- Watchdog timer can be set for 5 seconds to 1 hour by DIP switch or 1 second to 18 hours via software control.
- Has two operating modes. Can be "tickled" by software or passive monitoring of USB bus activity
- Can be used right from the box with supplied programs.
- Has an on-board temperature sensor to detect fan failures or other over-temp conditions.
- Has two temperature trip points for alerting.
- Programmable option to allow the PC Watchdog to hold the PC in reset after the upper trip occurs.
- Audible alarm for the temperature trip points.
- The temperature trip points can be modified by user software.
- Two externally visible LEDs show status of PC Watchdog.
- Watchdog has an AUX relay available on an external jack to control devices such as an alarm panel.
- AUX relay can be set for pulse or latch on after a timeout and PC reset
- Programmable power-on delay to allow the PC to complete its initialization sequence.
- Non-Volatile memory to store operating parameters.
- Eight bytes of non-volatile memory reserved for user data to implement simple software protection.
- Support for PCs without a motherboard reset header available with:
- Digital input for logic input, external "tickle" or edge detection.
- New firmware for non-volatile memory option to allow low temperature trip points.
- Option to activate buzzer and/or Aux relay at first low-temp trip point.
- Option to activate buzzer and/or PC reset at second low-temp trip point.
Pricing & Purchase Link
This item can be purchased at the Berkshire Products online store.
Buy USB PC Watchdog
(Clicking this link will take you to a new site for the store.)
USB PC Watchdog with 15" (380 mm) External USB Cable
USB PC Watchdog with 22" (558mm) Internal USB Cable
USB PC Watchdog with Both Cables
USB PC Watchdog PDF Manual
- This link is for the latest version of the USB Hardware Manual.
Universal DLL PDF
- This link is for the latest version of the Universal DLL Programmer's Manual which describes all the functions
provided in the DLL for users who write their own application programs.
Distribution CD Image File (ZIP File)
- This link is for the current version of the distribution CD that contains all the manuals, programs, drivers,
and the sample software. This includes the sample "C" and VB.net code for those users who
wish to write their own aps or want to incorporate watchdog support into their
USB board with standard 15 inch (380mm) external USB A-B cable to connect with PC rear
panel USB jack.
USB board with 22 inch (558mm) internal cable
to connect with USB header on PC motherboard.